For the beginner sewer, there are items you all need in your sewing box. Your sewing box is a nice way to organize these essentials, and you can find an assortment of different boxes to fit your style and needs at your local craft store or fabric store. These essentials will help make your sewing projects a little easier, and will definitely come in handy to have them close at hand. See below for a list of essentials every sewer needs.
You'll need a few different types of scissors in your sewing box.
- Pinking shears help to ensure your fabric will not fray on the edges, as they have a special zig-zag pattern. They're great for seams as well.
- Sewing scissors give you a nice sharp cut, which is great when you are cutting fabric. Be sure to only use them for fabric, and not for anything else. Cutting them with anything else such as paper can dull the blades, which will make cutting fabric a hassle.
- Snipping scissors are great for cutting and trimming thread. They're sharper on the edge of the blade, unlike the other scissors above.
2. Seam Ripper
- Seam rippers come in handy when you make a mistake. They have a needle like tip with a blade that cuts through thread easily. Simply push the needle tip into the thread you want to remove and give it a gentle tug to cut the thread. The thread will cut, but it doesn't harm your fabric. You can also use a seam ripper to help make button holes, rather than using scissors.
3. Measuring Tools
- Seam gauge is great to use when hemming anything. It is a metal ruler with a movable device that helps give you an even measurement all the way around your fabric.
- Tape measure. Use a fabric tape measure to help measure hems or fabric with your sewing projects. With its flexible fabric, you can use it to measure your body when making clothing to get an exact measurement.
4. Thread And Bobbins
- Thread. You'll need thread to match with your sewing projects. You can usually find a thread kit for beginners to get you started, or you can purchase your thread one at a time as needed. Look for thread that is cotton wrapped with polyester, which can be used with most sewing projects.
- Bobbins. If you are going to be sewing with a sewing machine, you'll need bobbins of thread. The bobbins are placed on your sewing machine to feed thread to the machine.
5. Needles And Pins
- Sewing needles. There are various types of sewing needles based on your needs. You can find sewing needles sold in assortment packages to use for various types of projects.
- Straight pins are great to use when pinning your fabric to keep it in place prior to sewing it. Use it for hems, appliques, or other projects. Sew your project, then you can take out your straight pins. The straight pins can be used again and again. Hold them in a small box, or press them into a small pincushion for safekeeping.
You'll also need the obvious essentials when beginning to sew, such as fabric, buttons, elastic and trim. These, in addition to the above mentioned items are essentials that any sewer should have on hand. Talk to a professional like J & M Vac & Sew for more information.Share